- Founded in 1973 by its namesake Dr. Allan Gray.
- Allan Gray partner with Orbis, founded by Dr. Gray.
- Orbis act as Allan Gray’s foreign fund managers.
- Allan Gray and Orbis have the same investment philosophy and values.
- Investment philosophy is value-orientated:
◦ Research companies to determine what they are worth.
◦ Buy shares they believe are undervalued by the market.
◦ Sell them when they think they have reached their worth.
- Independent minded.
- Has a retail investment platform:
◦ Provides access to a focused range of unit trusts from Allan Gray and other investment managers
◦ Simplified administration
- Founded in 1993 by a small group of investment professionals.
- Publicly listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in 2003.
- First SA asset manager to gain GIPS compliance.
- GIPS = Global Investment Performance Standards
- The culture remains one of ownership and accountability.
- Evident by the fact that staff owns 25% of the holding company.
- A single “valuation driven”philosophy”.
- The investment team consists of 3 former Coronation CIOs.
- All analysts rotate among industries so as to become generalists.
- Extensive experience and capabilities across all asset classes.
- Their motto: “Trust is earned”.
- Dave Foord co-founded Foord Asset Management in 1981 with Liston Meintjes.
- Liston left in 1997. Dave remains central.
- The bulk of the ownership is in the hands of the investment team.
- Their investment philosophy:
◦ Get the big calls right. Take advantage of economic cycles.
◦ Buy at the right price.
◦ Take a long-term view and be patient.
◦ Ignore the benchmark when building portfolios.
◦ Diversify and manage risk.
- Significant understanding of asset management. It’s their entire focus.
- Foord has a dedicated offshore team in Singapore.
- Founded in 1994.
- A subsidiary of UK based M&G Investments, the investment business of Prudential plc, a London listed global financial services entity.
- Thus has the support of a significant global group.
- But with a strong measure of independence. Prudential staff are material shareholders in the business.
- Their investment philosophy:
Buy when an asset’s valuation is below its long-term fair value. Sell once it reaches fair value.
◦ Decisions based on known facts. Don’t try to forecast the future.
◦ Focus on the long term. Ignore short-term “noise”.
◦ Team-based approach. Buy and sell decisions made collectively.
- Wally Gray founded Rezco in 1981 with a deliberate focus:
◦ “Managing risk, creating wealth” – Rezco’s deeply rooted philosophy.
- Started as a private client wealth manager.
- Refocused in 1984 to offer unit trust services.
- Their investment philosophy combines:
◦ best aspects of value investing
◦ superior sustainable earnings growth
◦ primary trend analysis and
◦ measured market timing.
- Rezco’s edge is their ability to implement a high conviction portfolio.
- Aims to have a minimum of 3% of a portfolio in any one share.
- Provides Risk Tolerance profiling to pinpoint your natural tolerance for risk.
- Helps you understand your financial self and financial risk better.
- Uses a psychometric questionnaire.
- Psychometrics blends psychology and statistics. It is the scientific discipline for testing personal characteristics such as risk tolerance.
- The FinaMetrica risk tolerance profile exceeds international standards for validity and reliability.
- Launched in 1998.
- Developed and tested in Australia over four years with the assistance of the University of New South Wales’s Applied Psychology Unit.
- Maintained with expertise from the London School of Economics.
- Best “Risk Profiling Solution” – Family Wealth Report Awards 2014
- Best “Risk Profiling Solution” – WealthBriefingAsia Awards 2014
- Over 1 0 00 000 FinaMetrica risk tolerance profiles by 1 000s of financial advisers in over 20 countries.
- MyFLPTools™ is a one-stop resource for my client conversation and planning tools.
- Designed by Mitch Anthony who is the founder and president of Advisor Insights and the Financial Life Planning Institute.
- This institute is the leading provider of financial life planning tools and programs for the financial services industry.
- Mitch lives in Rochester, Minnesota, USA.
- MyFLPTools™ allows me to do profound discovery work with my clients.
- It captures each client’s unique story: past, present and future.
- It’s an interactive website. Designed to help understand you and your needs better.
- And to help you move your stories along.
- Overall it helps to deepen my relationship with clients.
- Mitch designed the Return on Life™ philosophy to help you live the best life with the money you have.
- He is the author of 14 books including my favourites:
◦ StorySelling for Financial Advisors
◦ Your Clients For Life
◦ Making the Client Connection
◦ The New Retirementality
- A fund research and ratings provider based in the UK and SA.
- Independent, owner managed financial services group.
- Each team member has many years fund management businesses experience.
- Use a unique Fundhouse approach.
- Focus on the prospects of a fund manager continuing to perform well.
- Aim to understand the factors which drive investment success.
- Considers 4 factors when rating a fund:
1. Parent company that offers the fund
2. Quality of the investment team
3. Investment process
4. Past investment decisions or major investment calls.
- Best “Ratings and research service” 2016 – Investment Week
- Best “Independent research” 2016 – Investment Week
- Best “Ratings and research service for advisers” – 2017 Professional Adviser Rewards.
- Cover more than 100 fund management companies and 200 investment processes globally.